Black-eyed Pea Soup Crock-pot Recipe
Recipe Type: Crock-pot, Soup, Slow Cooker
Cuisine: Southern Cooking
This is one of my go-to dinner recipes. It’s an easy & cheap dinner for those chili nights. I’ve even been known to make this soup in the heat of the summer.
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas, picked over and rinsed
- 2 cups Ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups water
- 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Soak the peas overnight in cold water. Drain. Or quick method, rinse & soak in hot water for about 10-20 minuets.
- Add all ingredients in crock-pot. water should be completely covering the ingredients. watch for evaporation. may need to add a little water to keep covered while cooking.
- cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, on high 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve hot over rice, cracker or cornbread with more hot sauce on the table.
- each contains 299 Calories (cal); 2g Total Fat; (6% calories from fat); 18g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; trace Cholesterol; 481mg Sodium; 12g Fiber.
Calories: 299 Calories Fat: 2g Total Fat Carbohydrates: 58g Carbohydrate Sodium: 481mg Sodium Fiber: 12g Fiber. Protein: 18g Protein Cholesterol: trace Cholesterol