I found this recipe here: Valentines Cookies Recipes at Womansday.com
Total Time: 3 hr
Prep Time: 45 min
- 1 stick(s) (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cardamom (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- Decorating Icing (recipe follows)
- You’ll also need: 3-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter; 15 (10-in.) bamboo skewers; red gel food color; 3 pastry bags with plain writing tips; tall glasses or vases; plastic foam (Styrofoam); granulated sugar
- Beat butter and sugars in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in egg until blended; add vanilla, baking powder, cardamom and salt. Gradually add flour and beat until just smooth. Shape dough into a disc; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick foil. Roll out dough between 2 sheets parchment or wax paper to 3/8-in. thickness. Cut out 8 hearts with cookie cutter. Transfer 4 hearts to each prepared baking sheet with small spatula. Insert the point of a skewer (by gently twirling it between your thumb and index finger) about 2 1/2 in. into dough through pointed tip of each heart. Gather and refrigerate dough scraps.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until cookies are golden brown at edges. Cool on sheet on wire rack 5 minutes; transfer to rack and cool completely. Roll, cut and bake remaining hearts as directed above.
- Beat 1 lb confectioners’ sugar and 1/4 cup Just Whites (powdered egg whites, found in your store’s baking section) in large bowl with mixer on low speed to blend. Beat in 1/3 cup water. Increase speed to high; beat 5 minutes or until icing is very thick and white. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
- Divide decorating icing into 3 bowls. Tint one bowl red and one pink; leave one white. Transfer half of each color batch to separate pastry bags fitted with plain writing tips; refrigerate pastry bags. Thin the remaining icing with a few tsp water to the consistency of slightly whipped cream. Spread thinned icing over hearts; let dry completely. Outline hearts and decorate with patterns using the thick icing in pastry bags. Let designs dry completely.
- To assemble: Fill glasses or vases with foam blocks cut to fit. Pour in sugar between glass and foam to cover. Trim skewers to varying lengths and insert into foam (space the cookies evenly so they’re balanced to prevent tipping).
- Plan ahead: You can bake and decorate cookies up to 4 days ahead. Store covered at room temperature.